The Visual Arts Research Institute, Edinburgh was established in 1999 and is a member of RIHA, the International Association of Research Institutes in the History of Art. VARIE is a consortium that consists of the following partners:
- The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh College of Art (members)
- National Galleries of Scotland, National Museums Scotland, National Library of Scotland (associate members)
- University of St Andrews, University of Glasgow (associated History of Art departments)
- VARIE encourages and manages collaborative and interdisciplinary projects into all areas of visual culture, across a broad spectrum of traditional and new media.
- VARIE promotes links between researchers and institutions by organising events, such as seminars and conferences, and by providing advice on funding applications.
- VARIE extends the study of the visual beyond the traditional boundaries of art history, the outcomes of which are circulated to both academic and general audiences.
- VARIE embraces not only a broad range of academic, curatorial and research expertise, but also practitioners such as artists, architects and designers, and can help to fund posts such as collaborative PhDs and artist residencies.
VARIE welcomes proposals for collaborative research projects. For more information on our projects and activities, download our Annual Report below or contact VARIE.